Re: [udig-devel] Re: Geowidgets news: Map framework and legend widgets

Hi Matthias,

> That "Area of Intererst"(AOI) is not yet in my interfaces has a simple
> reason: I wasn't sure if/why this is needed. Each map layer group has a
> bounding box (calculated from its layer's bounding boxes), so there exists
> a bounding box for the MapContext too, which can be used when the user
> selects "Show full map" or something like that. So what's the AOI for? Is
> this a working area, that the user can define in case he/she is just
> interested in a small spatial subset of the area covered by the map?

MapContext is supposed to hold the whole state of a Map. It is the model, and
the AOI is the current working area.
So a MapContext document could be persisted and once "reloaded" used to show
your previously working map view, as it was.
If using it as a model, in a MVC framework, changing the AOI may raise an
event to update the views: update the map view to the "working area", update
the legend to show only visible layers at the current scale, etc.

I don't know if it fits at all in your design, since I'm not following it,
just wanted to point out what the use of AOI is in a MC, afaik.

cheers,

Gabriel.

> If we decided we need a map AOI: Could it work to define in in geographical
> coordinates (independent of the map CRS) or would you suggest defining it
> in map CRS coordinates, as it is now in GeoTools' MapContext interface?

I think it shuold be in map's CRS.

Back to the top