[udig-devel] MapContext and AOI discussion

Gabriel Roldán wrote:

Hi Matthias,
That "Area of Intererst"(AOI) is not yet in my interfaces has a simple
reason: I wasn't sure if/why this is needed. Each map layer group has a
bounding box (calculated from its layer's bounding boxes), so there exists
a bounding box for the MapContext too, which can be used when the user
selects "Show full map" or something like that. So what's the AOI for? Is
this a working area, that the user can define in case he/she is just
interested in a small spatial subset of the area covered by the map?
MapContext is supposed to hold the whole state of a Map. It is the model, and the AOI is the current working area. So a MapContext document could be persisted and once "reloaded" used to show your previously working map view, as it was. If using it as a model, in a MVC framework, changing the AOI may raise an event to update the views: update the map view to the "working area", update the legend to show only visible layers at the current scale, etc.

I don't know if it fits at all in your design, since I'm not following it, just wanted to point out what the use of AOI is in a MC, afaik.
Thanks Gabriel were were just trying to figure out if Matthias had separated out the Map model (of layers and zorder and style) from the Viewport model (AOI and CRS).

The two can be quite cleanly separated, or the Map can contain a Viewport model. We just could not tell what Matthias had in mind.

Jody

Back to the top