[udig-devel] Re: R: [OpenSDI] Presentation of our team and our work (LONG)

P.Rizzi Ag.Mobilità Ambiente wrote:

Sounds like fascinating work - especially the security work.
The Security part is tough indeed, with all that JAAS...
I would love to know more (after both our deadlines) - we have not yet broken out security as a separate service yet.

It will be finished at the end of this month. uDig is less of a building block and more of a GISPlatform in your context. You can take a very small amount of uDig (just enough to see things on the screen) if that is all you need. Being able to pair down uDig to be applicable to users is goal of the project - it would be nice to know how this is not being met. Although if you did not know this was a design goal it may just be a documentation problem.

Jody
Well, it was also a matter of a little "laziness" on our side I must confess...
Understood our early verions were mostly exercise in learning RCP, proof of concept, or vetting the various technology (like WFS).

Things like EMF or GEF don't need to be learned at all (unless you want to hack the core map model directly). Everything is getting tagged with normal listeners this month as the APIs head towards version 1.0.

Ingest the Eclipse RCP, the Eclipse EMF, etc. was overwhelming.
Also we tried the variuos uDig versions, from the 0.1 on, but we never really managed to make them work on our own data, so we gave up and decided to develop a simplier solution, taking only the burden to learn the Eclipse RCP. Now things seems much better, I just downloaded and tried the 0.9 RC3 version
and it worked, so we'll soon see how to take advantage of it, but we have to deliver our first client app by the end of March, so we'll use the final uDig version.

Cool - let me know if you need any help pairing it down to size. I will be writing documentation and so on this month and it would be great to have some feedback.

Jody

Back to the top