[udig-devel] stupid questions

Hi - I just heard about uDig on the Jump mailing list and decided to
check it out.

The first obvious problem with uDig is it only runs under two particluar
window managers, namely, Windows and Linux/GTK.

And it appears to be running in an Eclipse framework - and a basterized
one at that.

I don't understand the need to tie a solution to two particular window
managers when the solution should be 100% pure Java.

The SWT dependencies on the window manager are already built into Eclipse
- and it runs on every known platform.

At least Eclipse is 99.99% Java (and trivial to port to unknown platforms.)

I'm a little confused - primarily because I'm not using either of the
supported Window managers (and not willing waste time doing my home work
yet.)

I'd to get involved but I absolutely no tolerance for platform dependent
solutions (even if it's my perferred platform.)

If turns out that I all I need to do is hack the Linux/GTK download and
add the SWT libraries for my platform, then why aren't you shipping this
release as an Eclipse plugin?

Seems kinda silly to be able to run Eclipse but not be able to run uDig.

---

	"There is no path. The path is made by walking."

                                    -- Antonio Machado

Back to the top