Re: [science-iwg] Review BoF EclipseCon

On 06/11/2013 5:14 AM, Philip Wenig wrote:
B) Which name should we take for a generic 1d - 3d data processing and visualization framework?
In my opinion, a separate project called "SciSoft" -> "org.eclipse.scisoft" would be fine if there are no concerns regarding trademarks. IHMO, only "org.eclipse.science" would be a bit too generic.

C) Shall all participating projects change their plug-in names to "org.eclipse.science"?
I think no. The Science WG will be (only) the top level project. It will be the umbrella for several distinct subprojects. Hence, each project shall write an own proposal to migrate its code to the Eclipse Foundation. All accepted and migrated projects could then be a part of the Science WG, e.g.:

A little Eclipse terminology is needed here:
  • "Working groups" don't own projects. Working groups are intended to be forums for member companies, committers, and invited others work to complement what is being built in the projects.
  • We are starting to see a pattern where we create a top-level project with the same name as the working group. Examples include Polarsys, LocationTech, and hopefully soon M2M. It is the top-level project and its Project Management Committee (PMC) that ties the projects to the Eclipse Development Process.

I would highly encourage this group to consider replicating how the M2M folks got started. That is, simply create a number of projects in the Technology top-level project which is the normal place to start incubators. Once you have a collection of projects started and running and everyone is more familiar with the various Eclipse processes you then create a new top-level project and bring the project community together. In the meantime, all of the community and cross-project discussions can happen on the science-iwg list.

Similar to M2M, we should also create a science.eclipse.org landing page (or whichever name folks get comfortable with) to provide a "home" for the community. See m2m.eclipse.org as an example.

I hope that helps.

Back to the top