Re: [ptp-dev] Apple/Java?

Another point worth mentioning wrt the VM approach is the potential inability to access some hardware natively (at least with VMWare, which we use). I'm actually involved with some work on verification of CUDA C kernels (working to extend this to OpenCL in the future) and need direct access to the discrete GPU no matter what's booted up.

What's worked for me is a dual-boot system with a Linux VM on the "non-linux" partition. When I can't have Linux booted up and need to do some quick work there, test something or grab a screenshot, presto. The VMs are no problem as I can move/copy them with a few tweaks to a config file. It's actually not that much work and has given me the best of both worlds.

Alan

Greg Watson wrote:
I've been using Parallels for 3 or 4 years and it seems very stable. The only problem with the VM approach is that you need lots of memory. Unfortunately my old crusty Mac is stuck at 3GB so the VM experience is not as good as it could be.

Greg