Re: [ptp-dev] Opening remote projects very slow

Dave,

I'm not sure I can provide any meaningful analysis on this without debugging your specific setup. In my experience, opening a simple "hello world" makefile project doesn't take more than a few seconds, even when I do it at home via VPN to a remote machine here in the lab. For me the behaviour is more or less the same regardless of the backend I connect to (I've used AIX, Linux x86, and Mac OSX).

If you have a lot of files and folders in your project, I can see the operation taking a while as Eclipse wants to do a deep refresh of the project when it's opened. That is hard to get around without changing the behaviour of the platform resources plug-in. But given your description of your projects, that would not seem to apply.

How much have you ruled out the performance of the network or of the remote machine? What throughput do you get to the machine when doing a large file transfer? Is the CPU on the remote machine heavily loaded? Is it I/O thrashing?

I'm willing to help debug this with you if you can grant me access to the system you're using.

===========================

Chris Recoskie
Team Lead, IBM CDT Team
IBM Toronto
http://www.eclipse.org/cdt

Inactive hide details for Dave Wootton <dwootton@xxxxxxxxxx>Dave Wootton <dwootton@xxxxxxxxxx>

          Dave Wootton <dwootton@xxxxxxxxxx>
          Sent by: ptp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

          11/25/2008 08:09 AM

          Please respond to

ptp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx

cc

Subject

[ptp-dev] Opening remote projects very slow

Has anyone had the opportunity to look at this problem? I tried opening
remote projects again this morning. I made 5 attempts to open a remote
project and 4 of them either hung or took a long time (more than 5
minutes) to open, so I killed Eclipse. One attempt took a long time but
finally opened after a few minutes. This morning's attempts are over a
cable modem connection which is otherwise fairly responsive. I had similar
problems last week at SC08 with a Windows Vista system which had Eclipse
3.4, PTP 2.1, CDT 5.0.2 and the RSE runtime installed. When I started up
in the morning, I frequently had an open project request hang, and I had
to restart Eclipse multiple times to get all my remote projects working. I
finally gave up and used local projects except for my debugger demo

This morning, when I clicked open project, the Open project popup appeared
and the progress bar briefly appeared and showed some progress then
disappeared. The status line at the bottom of the Eclipse window said that
OpenProject was about 25% complete and it did not update. After a few
seconds, the cursor changed to an hourglass when over the Open Project
popup client area or over the Eclipse main window. At this point, Eclipse
is unresponsive, except that the main window is repainted when I move the
Open Project popup around over the main window. If I click the red close
icon in either the Open Project popup or the Eclipse main window, I get a
Windows popup telling me that Eclipse is not responding and I end up
killing Eclipse.

When I ran on a Vista system at SC08, if I watched closely, it appeared as
if the Open Project popup would appear, start to go away, then very
quickly reappear again. I'm not sure if there is something causing a
second instance of the Open Project dialog to be displayed or if I was
just seeing things.

The remote projects I'm trying to open are small remote makefile projects
with one or two .c files, a Makefile, and the executables. I'm seeing this
when attemping to open projects on both AIX and ppc Linux systems.

Dave