Re: [ptp-dev] Opening remote projects very slow

I seem to be having intermittent problems with opening remote projects.
I'm running today on the IBM internal network so I would expect fast
response.

I have installed a brand new version of Eclipse since I had installed
multiple versions of CDT and PTP code into my previous Eclipse install and
thought the multiple versions of code was slowing things down. I now have
Eclipse 3.4 build id I20080617-2000 installed along with CDT
5.0.2.200810240803,  PTP 2.1.0..200811031726 and RSE user runtime that
looks like it's 3.0.1.v200809171600 (there's a bunch of RSE plugins with
different levels, which I assume are all installed by my selection of RSE
end user runtime from the choices I had in the Ganymede update site)

When I first created the remote C project, I still configured the two
remote builder services to use my DSTORE RSE connections, and I started
the DSTORE server on my AIX node. The first time I opened it, it opened
within a few seconds. I restarted Eclipse and the next time it took at
least 30 seconds, but opening another remote project was quick.

My project only has a single small C file (about 100 source lines) and
editing that only takes a couple seconds.

My .project and .cproject files are fairly small, both less than 10kb.

I won't be able to test this again on the local network until 11/24 since
I will be out of the office until then.
Dave

Mike Kucera <mkucera@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: ptp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
11/12/2008 11:20 AM
Please respond to

cc
ptp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, ptp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject
Re: [ptp-dev] Opening remote projects very slow

Hi Dave,

When eclipse is starting up the connection to the remote server hasn't
been established yet. This means eclipse cannot access the .project file
and that causes the project to be automatically closed. If you open the
error log view you should see some entries to that effect. There is
currently no setting to change this behavior.

Remote projects open very fast for me, but my testing server is on our
intranet.

Can you please try a few things to help diagnose the problem:

1) First we need to figure out if the problem only affects RDT projects,
so try creating a non-RDT project on the remote server. Try using the
regular New C++ Project Wizard to create a project on the remote server
(indexing won't work but thats ok). Does this project take a long time to
open after you restart eclipse?
2) After you open a RDT project and you have waited for a while try
closing the project then opening it again. Does it take the same amount of
time to reopen the project?
3) How long does it take to open a source file in the editor?

I'm thinking the problem might have to do with the fact that when a
project is opened the first thing eclipse does is read the .project file,
and the first thing CDT does is read the .cproject file. So these files
may have to be transferred locally in their entirety, and that may take a
while depending on the connection (and the .cproject file can become quite
large).

Mike Kucera
Software Developer
IBM Eclipse CDT Team
mkucera@xxxxxxxxxx

Dave Wootton ---11/11/2008 07:32:03 AM---I have several remote projects
defined in my workspace. Every time I start

Dave Wootton <dwootton@xxxxxxxxxx>

ptp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx

11/11/2008 07:32 AM

[ptp-dev] Opening remote projects very slow

I have several remote projects defined in my workspace. Every time I start

Eclipse, these projects are in a closed state, which I'm assuming is
because of the overhead of opening a remote project. When I open a remote
project, even one with only a couple source files, a Makefile and a couple

executables, it either takes several minues or my Eclipse session is hung
with an hourglass. If I click widgets in the Eclipse Window, I get the
Windows XP application not responding dialog.

Is there any way to figure out what is going on? I can get the hang fairly

easily.

Also, are there settings anywhere that would leave open projects in an
open state rather than requiring me to re-open them each time I start
Eclipse?
Dave