Re: [omr-dev] ResolvedMethod question

Hi Dibyendu,

Any language that supports introspection on code will have the kinds of structures I mentioned. But you're certainly correct that not all languages or runtime scenarios require them.

Our goal for OMR (as a whole, but also for the compiler) is to make it a toolkit where you can pick and choose the pieces you want. The goal, again, should be to simplify the integration API of each tool in the kit to make it easy to tie into something from outside OMR, but for the integration to be "ready made" if you take more than one tool and use them together.

I'll be the first one to say that we're not there yet; OMR is very much still a work in progress and that's why it's critical to have people (like yourself!) involved from all kinds of different scenarios so that we can evolve the project closer towards the ideal.

To be honest, JitBuilder isn't really all that strongly integrated with the rest of the OMR componentry. So, if anything, it's less attached to that "big VM" model you're talking about, but I still know what you mean :) .

That higher degree of separation has made it possible to use JitBuilder to create JITs for several (I think you'll agree) lighter-weight VM scenarios, e.g.:
        - Lua 5.3 (https://github.com/Leonardo2718/lua-vermelha/)
        - SOM++ Smalltalk runtime (https://github.com/charliegracie/SOMpp/tree/jitbuilder_vmstate)
        - the lpeg pattern engine inside the Rosie Pattern Language (https://github.com/mstoodle/rosie-lpeg/tree/experimental_omrjit)
        - WebAssembly's wabt interpreter (https://github.com/wasmjit-omr/wasmjit-omr)

I think the C runtime environment that you're focusing on probably represents closer to one end of a spectrum than the spot where most language runtimes operate, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be able to cater to that world. The more "static" the execution model used by the language is, the closer to your end of the spectrum it will be and I would very much like OMR to be able to provide value there, even given there are other incumbent open source compiler projects in this space.

Thanks for your suggestions, and thanks for getting involved!

Mark Stoodley 8200 Warden Avenue
Senior Software Developer Markham, L6G 1C7
IBM Runtime Technologies Canada
Phone:+1-905-413-5831
e-mail:mstoodle@xxxxxxxxxx

We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them - Albert Einstein

Back to the top