Re: [omr-dev] ResolvedMethod question

On 15 June 2018 at 18:17, Mark Stoodley <mstoodle@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In the dynamic JIT world, the runtime process (or "client", as I tend to call it from the JitBuilder perspective) tends to have data structures recording all the possible methods or functions, usually organized around a (large) set of code units (classes, prototypes, modules, whatever you want to call them). I'm usually thinking from the perspective of a dynamic language runtime, which may not match the scenario you're working with, but please bear with me.

I think any JIT is 'dynamic' by definition, even if it for a C front-end...

What I find is that a lot of OMR thinking appears to revolve around
JVM type VMs - I think that the days when big heavyweight VMs like
Java / C# reigned appear to be coming to an end. That's why we have
new languages lighter weight languages such as Go, Rust, etc. I think
it would be helpful for OMR evolution to stop thinking only of JVM
type VMs (big, heavyweight) and also consider scenarios where there is
no VM / and no GC.

Regards
Dibyendu

Back to the top