Re: [technology-pmc] git sign-off on contributions

This is an old-ish thread but I have a further question, or appeal :-).  Wayne, you stated that the git “-s” sign-off is required for contributors.  In order to make it easier for contributors who forgot to do so, is there an alternative (not preferred, I realize) method in which I can in some way ask the contributor a specific statement that he/she says yes/no to… or have them say the statement I want them to say?  Ultimately, that’s all the “-s” means any way — it’s an attestation they wrote the code; it wasn’t taken from somewhere else.  If the issue isn’t just getting them to say this but is the git history being IP self-sufficient (i.e. without needing out-of-band statements from contributors), then I have a work-around proposal.  If I were to commit it as a patch myself (doing so knowing the person indeed wrote the code), then no sign-off is required.  Or would that be wrong; and if so why?  Again, my motivation here is to make it easier on contributors who simply forgot.