[jdt-ui-dev] IContentAssistProcessor implementation

Hi… we are looking into providing content assistance for _values_ within annotation elements. It looks like, for the jface ContentAssistant to dispatch an annotation value IContentAssistProcessor, the value range will need to become a new ITypedRegion: the JavaCompletionProcessor is not capable of providing completion proposals for contexts that are inside of String literals, right?

As a trivial example, when the user types the ‘/’ in the following annotation value string, the content assist processor would know that the string is a path, and provide a list of subdirectories:

@Foo(“resource/”)

public void mumble()

{

}

Another example of a value content assistant might understand that the string literal is a reference to a Java type, and call code currently in the JDT to acquire completion proposals.

My questions are:

  1. Do we need a new ITypedRegion to dispatch such a content assistant?
  2. Is introducing a new ITypedRegion into a Java source document dangerous? Will its presence interfere with something else?

Thanks,

-Gary Horen

As an aside, I found a related question in the platform newsgroup that shed some light on whether there was public API for this anyway:

"Tom Eicher" <eclipse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:<d7i5q6$pev$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>...

> Andrej Siebert wrote:

> > I work on a little project wich i would like to integrate into

> > eclipse jdt. Especially i would like to extend the java editor with

> > a new advanced code completion features. I've read the documentation

> > and played a little bit with JavaTools, JavaCore and JavaUI classes,

> > but i have'nt found anything helpfull information. So my question is

> > very simple. How i can contribute my Code copletion proposals to a

> > JDT java editor ?

> You cannot currently without hacking internal code. There is a

> bugzilla request for a content assist extension point...

> -tom

Back to the top