Re: [hono-dev] Metrics for processing command responses

This looks good to me.

On Wed, Jan 9, 2019 at 4:44 PM Hudalla Kai (INST/ECS4) <kai.hudalla@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, 2019-01-09 at 10:08 +0100, Jens Reimann wrote:
> In general I like the idea.
>
> I'm just wondering, why no use "hono.messages" / type="command" for commands?

In Hono we stress out the difference between Telemetry traffic (i.e. telemetry
data and events) flowing from devices to applications on the one hand and Command
& Control traffic on the other hand, flowing from applications to devices. based
on that distinction, using a single metric for counting all messages is not
really useful because we will be only interested in the number of telemetry &
event messages flowing downstream vs. the number of commands flowing upstream.

The Micrometer (to me) suggests that if the value of a metric is only meaningful
when drilling further down (using one or more dimensions/tags) then the you
should use different metric names in the first place. This is why using separate
metric names for metering Telemetry & Event vs. Command & Control makes sense to
me.

> Also what looks a bit strange to me us that the one metric is named
> "hono.messages", and the other "hono.messages.payload", … maybe "hono.payload",
> or "hono.messages.count" would make more sense?! But that is just a matter of
> style, less of functionality.

I agree that using "hono.messages.count" and "hono.messages.payloadsize" would
make even more sense (and "hono.commands.count" and "hono.commands.payload" for
C&C).