Re: [eclipselink-users] Discriminator and Inheritance.strategy

Hello Michael

There is no way to know which subtables need to be joined without the discriminator field in the main table, and allows null rows in the subtable to be distinguished from null subtable results being null in the case an outer join or view is used.

Best Regards,
Chris.

Michael Simons wrote:
Hello Guy,

unfortunately we have the Inheritance.JOIN strategy.
I don't understand why there's a discriminator needed for this strategy because which class an
object is instance of is determined by the entry in the "sub"-table, isn't it?

kind regards,
Michael

Guy Pelletier schrieb:
A discriminator column is not needed for a TABLE_PER_CLASS strategy.

The discriminator column is used to determine which class of object that
row represents.

Cheers,
Guy

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Simons"