Re: [che-dev] Stale branches in che repos :: ACTION REQUIRED :: please take out your trash :D

If everyone cleans their own stale branches, then "the responsibility of maintainer to have a clean repository" is negligible effort as we're all sharing the burden... maybe just an email reminder every quarter?

But if everyone creates branches that could go publically stale stale (because they're in your fork!) then you also achieve the same thing -- you just don't have to remember to clean up later.

As I said on Monday, I'm happy with either approach as long as we get to the same result: clean repos.

I do like the idea of a bot-based automated cleanup process that deletes stale branches after 3 months of inactivity. (Because humans have more important things to do than robotic housekeeping!)

And just in case you're worried the bot might delete something important (that is, it's old but not stale, only on hold for a while), there are two technical workarounds:

a) You can restore a deleted branch from your list of branches using the Restore button:

image.png

b) Or, could push your local changes to your local fork to keep it where the bot can't see it.

I'm happy to see that che branches are much, much cleaner! Thanks to everyone who helped clean up the stale stuff!

Can we next have a look at the 2 pages of stale branches in che-theia? Some are as old as 7-13 months

(and all the other repos too?)

Nick

On Wed, Feb 26, 2020 at 9:52 AM Vladyslav Zhukovskyi <vzhukovs@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> because it doesn't scale, you will do that for the almost 20 che repos ? every week or month ?

This is the responsibility of each committer to take out the trash after each merged PR and in the meantime, this is the responsibility of maintainer to have a clean repository.

because it doesn't scale, you will do that for the almost 20 che repos ? every week or month ?