[cdt-dev] RE: [cdt-patch] CView update

Gene,
No cowering necessary. We really have not had a lot of time to think
through how the build model (interface) will interact with UI clients like
the make target view, so your implementation makes sense given our
silence. I don't have a problem with the way you extracted the information
from the build model, but it might be better if I provided you with a list
of targets in the format you need on demand just in case I need to change
the methods you used.

At a higher level, we have not closed on a clean way of showing the user
which configuration they are currently building for a managed build
project. As you saw, each project may have more than one target, and each
target can have more than one configuration. Up until now, we have simply
taken the last target-configuration the user was editing in the property
page as the default "build goal" to generate makefiles for and build, upon
receiving the build command. Perhaps we could use the make target view to
select/change the build goal if there was some way to highlight the
current configuration for the project.

In the short-term, I can give you a better interface to the managed build
information so we can both be protected if the build model manager
changes. As the client of this information, you can let me know what you
need. Presumably, this is another interface we should think about adding
to the build model interface we discussed in the con-call last week.

It would be helpful to me if you and I could discuss further what the make
target view could be used to display.

Sean Evoy
Rational Software - IBM Software Group
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada