Re: [wtp-incubator-dev] 0.5M8 and the future

David M Williams wrote:

> should we wait until the following week to do our 0.5M8 release?
Well, first, remember at this point it's simply a "milestone" I'm sure you'll recall me harping on "release" being a reserved word at Eclipse.
Yeah, eclipse and it's picky terminology. I figured the M8 was indication enough that it was a milestone. :)

I'd say if you can, to go ahead and produce your M8 milestone now, so it can be on the WTP downloads page right away with Ganymede. We can still do some separate announcements and publicity the following week (and, yes, in that case, I think better to follow the main Ganymede announcements and publicity).
Unless Doug or Jesper object or have anything additional to go in, there latest build that was completed on 0.5M8 can be used for the Milestone.

Then, if I'm reading you right, you'd like to plan on a formal pre 1.0 release, call it 0.5. I'd say we should plan on that for about 1 month following Ganymede. That'd give us time to discuss with EMO, schedule a formal release review, etc. Plus, would give you a couple more weeks to fix up those icons, etc., that you mention. (so the formal release would be very similar to the M8 milestone, but not exactly the same).

Am I hearing you right so far?
Basically, but I'd like to hear what Doug and Jesper think as well before we commit to anything.

> ... what should the next version be called, I would go for 0.6 for now

Do you mean for release? Or just what you label it in your milestones. Assuming you don't need another release until next June, I would recommend that after a formal 0.5 release, that you "join" the main WTP stream/builds and just produce milestones along with the rest of WTP. (milestones towards Io, 2009 release, that is). If you'd like to be conservative, you can certainly start off with 0.6 version numbers, and then move to 1.0 next spring ... nearer your graduation and Io simultaneous release. But, it's not unheard of for projects to start using 1.0 in their milestone builds, under their confidence (and plans) to graduate before/during the formal 1.0 release. To be explicit, you can still be "incubating" and be part of WTP builds/milestones ... it just needs to keep the "incubating" name until you graduate. I would recommend you/we plan on a graduation review roughly next March (2009) [perhaps right before EclipseCon?] and then have your 1.0 release review with the rest of the Io release review of WTP, in June 2009.
My only concern about joining the official release train right now is time commitment. By myself and Doug and Jesper. Especially since we are working on this part time. Also, I think we had talked about staying with WTP 3.0 for a while as the base code, but again would like to hear from Doug and Jesper on their opinions.

Feel free to correct me if I am misreading your desired plans/schedules, but this seems like a good one to me.

Oh, and BTW, we haven't really talked about it in WTP exactly, but we in the rest of WTP probably won't have much, if any, milestones until M2 or M3 (September) or so (due to getting a quick start on maintenance releases).

> David what else do you think we need to do to get us along in the incubation phase.

I think you all are doing great and well on your way to graduation. Any "community activity" you can engage in would help the case ... such as the Eclipse Live webinar you mentioned, perhaps present at some UI Working Group walk through (e.g. present on how you specifying XSL "engines" in preferences, the xpath view, etc.). I'm assuming you follow Eclipse enough to know what "UI Working Group walk through" means ... if not, well, then there's an example of the importance of community involvement :) As I've mentioned, my only concern is not getting that many bugs open from (early) end-users. Perhaps that will change when we have a more unified build and delivery mechanism.

I think the later is going to depend on the type of functionality we can provide and getting somebody besides a non-profit standards organization to adopt the product in their tooling. The thing is that in the XML community eclipse isn't known for being an XML tool. It's know for Java.. It just going to take time to educate the existing XML community, but many already have their favorite ide or tool they use. The Webinars and Articles will help. As well as any techinical presentations we can get done at some XML conferences.

I'll look at the UI Working Group walk through, as I suspect we can get some valuable feedback on the Preference pages alone.

Dave

Back to the top