[ve-dev] Re: XSWT and EXSWT

Hi Phillipe and David,

The current codebase as available from http://publicsvn.bestsolution.at/repos/java/ is licensed under EPL and incooperates concepts from David's initial approach named XSWT.

Still there are some differences to consider with the current code base:
- It's heavily using XML-Namespaces to provide extensibility
  which is one of the major targets I had in mind when coding

- It's currently targeted for Equinox-based applications
  to extend the functionality using extension-points.
  Do we also want to target none OSGI-Applications?

- I provides transformer chains to transform any highlevel dialect to
  XSWT (I did a first small draft implementation for Flex when it came
  out) but doing something similar for e.g. XAML shouldn't be too much a
  problem.

Know limitation of the current code base:
- Usage of Apache-Bean-Utils: The current codebase uses a patched
  version because Bean-Utils doesn't allow to access public-methods
  from package-scoped classes which makes support for JFace impossible
  (We should think about an replacement because this would make the IP
  process much easier)
- No support for forms

As David pointed out the XML-Dialect is not 100% user friendly but I take the point that it doesn't have to be because of the offered transformer chain highlevel-dialects like XAML, ... can easily be developed on top of it. A thing we have to work for of course is inconsistency which might violated in some situations.

Tom

David J. Orme schrieb:
Hi Philippe,

Thanks for contacting me!

In principle, I support the EXSWT extensions, however I think the syntax could be made more compact and more human-friendly while retaining its extensibility. I'd be happy to work with the community to achieve this goal and would then be able to support such a move 100%.

Serious health concerns in my immediate family have prevented me from using much of my own time on Eclipse-related stuff lately, so please be understanding if I don't always respond immediately.

I suggest that we use the ve-dev list to coordinate the discussion.

Best regards,

Dave Orme