Re: [ve-dev] Overriding the Property-Editor in a Subclass does not seem to work

Hello,

There isn't really a safe way to do that. You would have to completely redefine the property at the RButton level. You would have to completely specify it.

As long as the "text" property isn't a special property that some super class may access directly through the ULCButton's text estructuralfeature it may work. An example of an override that wouldn't work is to try to change the "components" feature of the awt Container. That is because this is a very special feature that is used directly and is not looked up by name. Because of that it would find the awt Component's feature. In your case I don't think this is true. Everywhere the feature is probably looked up by name and so it will find your feature first.

Rich

"Peter Koch" <Peter.Koch@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: ve-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

06/21/2006 09:19 AM

Please respond to
Discussions people developing code for the Visual Editor project <ve-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

<ve-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
[ve-dev] Overriding the Property-Editor in a Subclass does not seem        to work

Hi!

I'm currently writing a plugin which customizes
the ULC VE plugin (own widgets, different palette,
other property-editors, ...).

I'm struggling about the following problem:

I have a class RButton which extends ULCButton.
In my RButton.override I'd like to define an own
property editor for the "text" property
(like in MyCustomPrompter.override from the VE tutorial).

But this does not work.

Overriding of property editors for properties which
already have defined a property editor
for a property in a superclass generally
does not seem to be possible.

If I make an own property like "buttonText", everything is fine.
But this is only a workaround.

(I'm working with ULC VE 5.0 which bases on VE 1.1.0.1)

Any ideas, comments ?

Thanks & best regards,
Peter Koch