Re: [udig-dev] Udig release

Comments inline ..

  • The maven build with docs profile throws an error :
    • [ERROR] Failed to execute goal org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-antrun-plugin:1.3:run(package) on project udig-docs: An Ant BuildException has occured: …/udig-platform/docs/target/user/en/simple not found.
Have you python executables in path and sphinx installed using pip? The goal might fail, if not the root cause might be hidden
  • During startup of the application this will print out to the console:
    • (uDig:415): GLib-CRITICAL **: 18:44:31.818: g_base64_encode_step: assertion 'in != NULL' failed

This is a warning if the gdal module of geotools tries to load gdal native libraries but these are neither in the classpath nor in LD_LIBRARY_PATH. On Windows the log has similiar output..

    • Warning: NLS unused message: cancel_tooltip in: org.locationtech.udig.ui.internal.message

This is really a warning and might be hidden in exported products (uDig application) but should still be visible in Eclipse IDE, i guess. I'll have a look at ..
  • The layout of the welcome screen is broken when not opened in the "full screen" mode.
Interesting, we recently remove the code which minimizes the welcome-screen, see https://github.com/locationtech/udig-platform/pull/496
So expectation is that the welcome is expanded and nothing else should be visible within uDig Application. Have you build uDig by your own or downloaded ZIP from github action? Try to start uDig again with "-clean" and/or "-clear" (seen udig_internal.ini) right before -vmargs option

However, I'll check behavior on windows again (with a pretty clean workspace (-data option in ini-file)
  • Some dialogs have another window as a border around them.
Which Linux are you using and what kind of window manager?
  • I've had some issues using the webbrowser - it seems that the links are not available.
I remember some broken "out-of-the box" Browser support on Linux we had for OSGeo Live (see https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeolive/ticket/1368) . maybe this thread helps too : https://stackoverflow.com/questions/31111441/how-to-make-swt-browser-control-use-mozilla-firefox-instead-of-webkit-on-linuxu

  • The Filter tab in Style Editor has a different behavior to the ones in Line-, Point- and Polygons Tab
The filter is an option to show only feature which match that _expression_. wheras the style pages controll the layout of the rendered features in the map. Does this explaination helps?
  • While using the application a message is printed out to console very often:
    • Jan. 30, 2022 9:12:09 pm. org.geotools.gce.imagemosaic.Utils loadMosaicProperties
      INFORMATION: properties file doesn't exist
Looks like the logging for geotools is set to DEBUG or another level thats very verbose. I'll check if and how to configure it..

I made some kind of testing protocol with some screenshots which you can find here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Sv8_744mpTQftLnd6_0q6OBKViHEMHVWgJBj870rYEg/edit?usp=sharing

Great, this helped to understand the bullet points :)

I will continue testing in the next days. Shall I open some Github issues?

Best Regards

André

--
Cheers, Frank