Re: [udig-dev] alpha blog post and release notes

Thanks for the feedback

Am 10.12.2013 05:10 schrieb "Jody Garnett" <jody.garnett@xxxxxxxxx>:

> After having a chance to read your email on a computer ... I expect the target platform file would replace the SDK download. The point of the exercises is to release a stable version of the software for use by plugin developers.
>
> Notes:
> - Our SDK release would be in two parts: deploy and provide a target file
> - Casting around at how other projects do things ... I do not like the approach used by BIRT where they make an Eclipse IDE bundle. Too much overhead for us.

Totally agree! Keep it simple and if anybody like to develop an Eclipse application or bundles depending from uDig its recommend to have an idea how Eclipse works and how to develop Bundles/Products with it ;)

> - This story is a little bit weak for offline use -> the advantage of having our SDK download be a complete target platform means that there was nothing else to download. Using a target platform means Eclipse will download each time you set up an IDE for uDig development.

> So +1 this is worth an expedient, if the experiment works we should write up an RFC.

Could anybody have a look at the Readme.textile section that covers the offline requirement (https://github.com/uDig/udig-platform#target-platform-and-running-udig). Resolve the target platform as always and export it to local storage afterwards.

At the moment of writing I'm not sure about Jai/ImageIO URL in target definition.

Pros:

  • everybody could start from scratch using a Standard JRE
  • nearly the same development process for uDig and uDig based products/projects, less to document if the procedure is equal ;)

Cons:

  • we can't use it anymore from LocationTech Infrastructure to build products,
  • missing GDAL support because of standard JRE instead of pre-configured with native support

Q: At the moment I have no idea whether I can create a pull request before starting the Locationtech IP process again. I guess we will start an other cycle at the beginning of 2014 or does anybody else have other expectations?

Thanks again for the feedback and lets make it simpler than it is right now :D

- Frank

Back to the top