Re: [udig-dev] udig with java7 and ecw+mrsid support?

Hallo @all,

first, now the success-message - I have a running jre7 with ecw support.

now i will decribe the steps to reproduce the result:

System was win7-64bit, but jre will be 32bit, because of missing gdal for 64bit.

1. I dowloaded a jre7 ( in my case it was jre-7u45-windows-i586.tar.gz9 from http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre7-downloads-1880261.html)
2. I downloaded java image io from http://download.java.net/media/jai-imageio/builds/release/1.1/ I took jai_imageio-1_1-lib-windows-i586-jre.exe
3. I downloaded java advanced imaging from http://download.java.net/media/jai/builds/release/1_1_3/ I took  jai-1_1_3-lib-windows-i586-jre.exe

4. Now I unzipped jre into a seperate folder. Afterwards I extracted imageio and jai into seperate folderas an copied all dll files into the jre/bin and jar files into jre/lib/ext.

5. because we wanted to have gdal and ecw support I downloaded  gdal 1.7 from http://demo.geo-solutions.it/share/github/imageio-ext/releases/1.1.X/1.1.5/native/gdal/windows and extracted all files into jre/bin

Finally the result was, that uDig was able to start up with jre7. When I tried to load an *.ecw file via new layer->file the file list showed up ecw files as supported files. But after selecting one to load, nothing happened. The dialog was already open, no progress, very short display of message "check available services" ... After many hours of searching we figured out, that in the original jre there are 3 (important) dll-files missing: NCScnet.dll, NCSEcw.dll and NCSUtil.dll
After copying them from the jre6 shipped with udig - the ecw files will be loaded in a new layer.

I guess that this files are from erdas software and have to be present when opening ecw files.

We tried also to use gdal1.9 from http://demo.geo-solutions.it/share/github/imageio-ext/releases/1.1.X/1.1.7/native/gdal/ but got the same result as before adding the dlls. I think they have to be added in the correct version to gdal 1.9.

Any additional hints where to get this files?

christina