Re: [udig-devel] Starting Udig-Development

Welcome!

Hello everybody,

I'm just about starting with udig-plugin-/extension-development.
 Nice.
Right in the beginning I have a few questions - I hope tey're not to stupid.

1) On the udig-website I can't find a SDK for 1.3 version of udig - the
quickstart-guide refers to udig 1.2. How do I set up my environment for
udig 1.3.

We have not made a "SDK" bundle of uDig as we lacked volunteers (such as yourself) to help test. I only ever make one when I run a training course.

In general we ask developers to set up a normal uDig development environment (on the grounds it is easier for you to contribute changes to uDig):
- http://udig.refractions.net/confluence/display/ADMIN/02+Development+Environment
2) Is it possible to use JDK 1.7? - how do I create my own jre?
The instructions to make a JRE are provided as part of the project procedures; part of the wiki mentioned above.

http://udig.refractions.net/confluence/display/ADMIN/04+Project+Procedures

You can see the JRE for windows and JRE for linux pages. It amounts to installing ImageIO-EXT using the installer; this takes care of installing JAI, ImageIO, ImageIO-EXT and GDAL. We found it easier to bundle this up for the uDig download rather than asking people to go through all the steps.

3) In the first plugins I need the following features:
- Click on a certain element (shape), change the display color of
it and read some atributes out of the dbf-file.
That is a bit tricky as features do have a colour. :-)

Features represent something in the real world; and usually you draw them in different colours based on one of their attributes. Indeed the "Style" data structure is used write down how you want this performed.

Some CAD data uses "colour" as one of the attributes; and thus you can make a very simple style that defines the colour as being based on the "colour" attribute.

But I am not sure what your data looks like? perhaps that is an option for you.

You may wish to look at the InfoTool? it does something very similar to what you want. It lets you click; it finds a feature and reports back the attributes (from a DBF file is you were working with a shapefile).
- I have an array with shape-ids and need to select them by code
and change the display-color of them.
It sounds like you may be considering the uDig "selection" model. We have a Layer.getFilter() which defines the features that are selected by the user. You can set the filter your self; and if you have a set of "FeatureIDs" you can wrap them up in an "Id" filter to get the effect you want.
- I need to load and display a raster-file by code.

The catalog page of the developers guide should have an example for you.

http://udig.refractions.net/confluence/display/DEV/2+Catalog

Reading it has examples for about everything else; however the steps required are the same - just using a URL pointing to your raster file.
I would be happy, if anybody had a piece of example code for one of my
tasks which he would like to share.

The developers guide is a wiki; so you are welcome to add any examples you make :-)
Thanks and regrads
Cheers,
Jody

Back to the top