Re: [udig-devel] uDig UI meets GeoServer

On 19/11/2010, at 4:18 AM, Falko Bräutigam wrote:

> Jody Garnett schrieb:
> >

> > That is super cool; when you have some screen snaps could you prepare a new post for the uDig blog?
> > Actually since it is its own project it would be even better to have a "gallery" write up for it.
>
> Yes, this would be great. I will prepare one and send it to you. Thanks.

Nifty.

> > Asied: You may be interested in one of my long standing design goals with respect to the udig catalog. I would like to move it to a hibernate backend (such as is being done for geoserver) in order to store more information; and more connected information; to assist people during their work. As an example I would love to store all the styles associated with a dataset in the catalog and allow people to browse through them (as a series of "predefined" styles).
>
> Oh yes. I am very interested in the catalog and its backend. Actually for polymap3 I introduced a new backend for the catalog already. Like the entire domain model it is based on Qi4j (http://qi4j.org).

Lol really?

Well other than uDig failing to advertise that you can collaborate with the project this sounds really amazing!

I was mostly mentioning hibernate because a) geoserver already had a take on the problem b) I want to have the catalog scale up and track thousands of datasets and styles etc...

The down side is that "etc..." since there is lots of rich content associated with a data set that would be beneficial - style being the most important, but also the description information, perhaps a history of use etc...

So what you describe is way more ambitious then I had figured I could do on volunteer time.

Indeed it sounds amazing.

Jody

Back to the top