Re: [udig-devel] uDig UI meets GeoServer

Jody Garnett schrieb:

> That is super cool; when you have some screen snaps could you prepare a new post for the uDig blog? > Actually since it is its own project it would be even better to have a "gallery" write up for it.

Yes, this would be great. I will prepare one and send it to you. Thanks.

> Asied: You may be interested in one of my long standing design goals with respect to the udig catalog. I would like to move it to a hibernate backend (such as is being done for geoserver) in order to store more information; and more connected information; to assist people during their work. As an example I would love to store all the styles associated with a dataset in the catalog and allow people to browse through them (as a series of "predefined" styles).

Oh yes. I am very interested in the catalog and its backend. Actually for polymap3 I introduced a new backend for the catalog already. Like the entire domain model it is based on Qi4j (http://qi4j.org).

When we started with polymap3 we found two modeling approaches in uDig: EMF and the catalog. After some serious testing/thinking/discussing I decided to break up with both and start with a new modeling foundation Qi4j. It provides a very straigth, clean und flexible modeling approach. And it provides interfaces for many storage backend. By nature the most of them are non-SQL, which in my eyes is perfectly fits the meets of polymap3 and maybe uDig.

I have been using Hibernate for several years in different projects. If (and only if! ;) the mapping fits the DB model then it is a great OR solution. But it is not a domain modeling solution. People using it this way but it is not.

Qi4J allowed me to add the authorization model/code to the domain model with complete separation of concerns. I wrote the ACL code and was able to apply it the projects, layers and catalog entries. Check the polymap3 demo: the same properties dialog for all those objects. The same would be possible for styles in the catalog. I already used this for the services that can be started for (connected to) projects.

in a nutshell:
  * in polymap3 all domain modeling (including catlog) is done with Qi4j
  * this gives many advantages in terms of modeling
  * and allows to switch the underlying backend store

What do you think about this approach?

Falko
--
Falko Bräutigam