[udig-devel] manipulating the "Custom Application Tutorial" source code

I am a newbie to uDig and I have a question. I have studied
http://udig.refractions.net/confluence/display/DEV/3+Custom+Application+Tutorial
"Custom Application Tutorial"   and I have made the new product to be
distributed using this manual.

Now, I want to manipulate the source code of this new product, e.g. I want
to change the caption of the menus, or set the direction of the menu
right-to-left. How could I do that? Is there any starting point or
recommended reading?