[udig-devel] shapefile renderer planning

Morning:

Shapefile renderer is moving to unsupported status now that the majority of speed improvement tricks have been applied to the streaming renderer. There is one trick remaining - that is actually important to us. The use of a bitmap to track which pixels have already been filled in - and avoid drawing multiple points; or lines; or polygons into the same spot ...

This trick was very important to the initial impression uDig makes when using road or river networks. I remember it being the major difference that Jesse made when competing against gvSig for speed.

Andrea is maintaining these renderers right now for geotools and would like to stop having to apply patches in two places. He has requested some feedback on the geotools-devel list and I would like to talk things over here and have us get back to him.

Jody

Back to the top