Re: [udig-devel] ID use in Layer

> A good point.  Well we have to have the qualifier at least.  Possibly we
> should mandate the qualifier?   The reason for the qualifier is illustrated
> by Geotiff and World+image.  They both support a geotiff if the geotiff has
> a world file.  However the URL doesn't distinguish between the two types so
> they clobber each other in the catalog.  We need to be able to say the type
> of element.  Right now it is an optional field.

We could mandate the qualifier; that would be less thinking space then
leaving it optional.
+1

I think that we got two types in the catalog may be just a design
mistake in our catalog. The alternative is a generic one size fits all
handle; and leave the different "implementations" as ResolveTo targets
:-(

> This is almost a problem with WMS and WFS but they actually have different
> URLs for the same data but the conceptual problem is the same.  So I added
> qualifier.  If you have a better idea I am all for it.

Interesting possibility - so we could leave the URL as the same for
both. And just use the qualifier to "stand in for" the Service=WMS,
Request=GetCapabilities, Vesion=1.1 part ?

Jody

> Maybe the solution is simply to edit all plugins and change the ID so that there is a type attribute that is required.

At the very least we should do this; so that qualifier is not
optional; and then we can see if we like the result?
Jody

Back to the top