Re: [udig-devel] svn down

Since I'm also a heavy Ruby user, my vote also goes to git. I wrote a short blog on github a month or two back http://amanzi.blogspot.com/2009/04/whats-point-of-github.html
It is probably relevant to all DVCS, as github simply supports a common DVCS usage pattern (related to merging back forked code).

On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 9:43 AM, roovo <roovo@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

2009/6/2 Jesse Eichar <jesse.eichar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Also, all opinions are welcome.

I've used both Mercurial and Git.  I initially went with Mercurial as it seemed to be closer to Subversion in it's command set, but being a heavy ruby user I switched to Git as that was where the ruby community went.

Git seems to be the more powerful VCS (I say seems as I've used Git more extensively so there are aspects of Mercurial I never explored fully) but it has a slightly steeper learning curve than Mercurial if you're coming from a svn background..  I am now a total Git convert - and believe it's well worth the extra bit of learning required to get the most out of it (it's not steep at all for basic use).

I think the biggest USP for Git is Github. It's a huge benefit as it is so easy to use (very nice web front end), it makes forking projects dead easy (so encourages anyone who wishes to to experiment and contribute back) and has a nice useful API.

Just my 2-peneth (as a Java and uDig newcomer so not familiar at all with what the Java world uses)

roovo