Re: [udig-devel] About GeoIRC

Hi
I just submitted a proposal
I'm sure it should to be improved.
So, all suggestion and advice are welcome!

Regards,

yeonhoo

2009/3/31 Jody Garnett <jody.garnett@xxxxxxxxx>
I will try and reply quickly for you.

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 2:38 PM, Yeonhoo <yeonhoo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have more doubts.
>
> First is : I'm not sure if I have to focus in writing a proposal without
> detailing the project or I have to let it to afterward it is approved?

I think you get one shot to write your proposal; and then we can give
you feedback and you can revise. Getting your proposal in is
important. You should spent as much time detailing yourself (your
background your passion make us believe you can do the work) as you
should describing the project. When you are approved there will be
time to set down a schedule and iron out communication with your
mentor and so on.

> Second is : according to the phrase "Combine IRC with a Map" in
> http://udig.refractions.net/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=1638420
>
> Is it to use irc protocol to share information in synchronized form?

The commercial tool I saw let users chat; and both could share a
layers and so on in order to discuss them.

> for example,, if I'm using irc inside of udig with other people that using
> udig and others not, I should identify people that using udig and share
> information just with them.

I am not sure; that is kind of up to you (I do not know much about the
protocols). I would imagine a quick solution would be send links to
the IRC channel and have your irc channel pick them up and operate on
them.

I have seen more fancy system where different people in a chat can
take over the "world" and move around to areas of interest. Basically
control the viewport model (similar to applying a bookmark in the
current udig api).

I should also point out that this functionality would be fun to do in
the GeoExt project as a _javascript_ solution for controlling a google
maps; in the best of all possible senarios we would find you a friend
and you could demonstrate interoptibility at the end of the summer.

> I don't know if it is possible to do that with irc protocol or Just say me if I'm out of focus.

Ah; you would be defining what messages to send on the IRC (or jabber)
protocol. I think they do have some facilities for non chat messages -
you would need to look.

> I think it can be made to be pluggable for many of these protocols.. Well,
> using the jabber for share information will be more suitable.
> For exemple, xmpps/google talks supports the file transfer API
> ISendFileTransferContainerAdapter is entry point

Cheers,
Jody