[udig-devel] Re: [udig-users] PostGIS: Multiple geometry columns on one table

Just keeping this discussion on the list -

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 11:14 AM, James DeMichele
<James.DeMichele@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Wow, thanks for making me feel so welcome!

No worries.

> I have also used OpenJUMP before stumbling the best visual GIS
> application ever (uDig). In OpenJUMP, it actually *requires* you to
> select which column you want to display on your Layer.

I used JUMP a fair bit; have not migrated to OpenJUMP yet (I am not
sure if the plugins I like are available yet).

> Personally, I think this works ok, in that it does give me the ability to choose which
> column I want. However, I think uDig could do something ever more user
> friendly. You could leave the current application as it is now, but add
> an option (i.e. something similar to the combobox you mentioned) when
> you right click a layer, and allow the user to switch to a different
> geometry column on that table.

The right click menu is in danger of getting "full" - as such I like
the idea of leaving this as a styling option (since we are controlling
how a feature is shown here - postgis is just giving us two different
options for geometry to use - it is still the same feature).

One of the reasons this has not been an issue yet - is I lacked a user
with talented data. What is the data set you are working with here
that has two geometries?

> (I just got your other email in regards to the "JIRA issue
> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/UDIG-1188";. Unfortunately, if the code
> sprint is this weekend, I won't be available for that, but let me at
> least try the Style Editor fix to change the XML, and I'll let you know
> how that goes. What's the best resource on the site to point me at for
> editing the Advanced style?

Heh - the application help menu of course :-) Here it is in online wiki form:
- http://udig.refractions.net/confluence/display/EN/Style+Editor+Dialog

If you navigate in a few levels you will find your feature styling
options documented:
- http://udig.refractions.net/confluence/display/EN/Feature+Style+Pages

I am afraid from there we are into reading about "Style Layer
Descriptor" format - ie the XML that is displayed.

You will need to update the type referred to in the Rules for example.

> Thanks again, and I'll be in touch!
>
> -James DeMichele

Jody