From: James DeMichele
Sent: Wednesday, March 11, 2009 5:33 PM
To: 'Jody Garnett'; User-friendly Desktop Internet GIS
Subject: RE: [udig-users] PostGIS: Multiple geometry columns on one
table

Well, we deal with a lot of zip code, city level shapes. The original
shape data that we load isn't sufficient for our purposes to publish on
the site directly. Thus, we do some in-house alterations to the
"original" shape to generate the shape that we want. However, we keep
the "original" shape around in our database right alongside the altered
one, so that if our algorithm needs to change, we can simply run it
again, to generate all new shapes from our "original" polygon.

Also, there are some instances where we might store both a "centroid"
and a "polygon" on our table for unique instances. It's usually more
useful to see the shape, rather than the centroid.

Thanks again for the help, and I'll try the Advanced Style!

-James