Re: [udig-devel] JIRA proceedure and protocol ideas for distributed workload, more effective processing of tickets.

I am going to try and reply to your email again - a little bit at a time. Perhaps we could talk over your ideas in the next uDig IRC meeting?

When I look at the JIRA, and see uDig 1.1-RC13, 1.1RC14, 1.1SC1, and 1.2.M3, 1.1.2M4, it provides a bit of confusion for me, because there are both older versions and newer version being listed when compared to my 1.1.1 release version being used.

Right now the list of  versions for which a user can report bugs is:
- UDIG 1.2.M2 (the current release)
- UDIG 1.1.1
- UDIG 1.1.0

And the following un released versions:
- UDIG 1.2.x
- UDIG 1.2.M4
- UDIG 1.2.M3
- UDIG 1.1.2

The other version numbers mentioned should not get in the way of anyone reporting a new bug.

reduce this to merely and only the subsequent version(1.1.2 for example), with reporting options for 1.1.1 and 1.1.1 only?  If a user is using an earlier version of uDig(1.1.0 for example), s/he should not be given the opportunity to report a bug on that version... it causes to much overhead.

I think if someone has downloaded UDIG 1.1.0 and wants to report an issue they should be able to; it may still apply to uDig 1.1.2.

I do understand the wish to only collect bug reports that are of use however.

 Users should be made aware on the JIRA that any and all tickets should only be filed against the latest release build(1.1.1 for example), and in the JIRA those tickets are applied/attached to the 1.1.2 version.

Um they file them against the version they are running (say 1.1.1) and if they are fixed and we make another release the issue would be marked fixed for 1.1.2.

 Any specific or individual efforts that employ a particular version, should also have their own specific area for ticket filing(uDig 1.1-RC13 for example).

These are all closed off as far as I know.

Also, uDig should also make as a rule that only the latest(or last) version of the respective operating system is the one that is considered when checking/testing against filed tickets(bugs).

The developer community has limited access to different environments; we will do our best to reproduce any platform specific issues (but usually the developer will use their machine to verify the bug; and only if they cannot reproduce it will they ask for a second take by someone with mac hardware for example).

If possible, the JIRA should be setup/configured so that the first menu selection the user choses is the OPERATING SYSTEM(Windows XP, Windows Vista, PPC OS X, x86 OS X, Linux, etc.).  In fact, the user should be prompted to push a button, which in turn queries the system information of the user's computer, auto-populating the JIRA with OS version, Java version, applicable hardware(amount of memory, # of processors/speed, etc.).

The submit log menu option has something similar to this; I am not sure where the email is sent right now - perhaps we could have it sent to the udig-devel list.

Jody

Back to the top