Re: [udig-devel] The standard vector file for the future?

iomeneandrei wrote:
Hi Jody,
I think it's interesting to talk about shapefile inadequacy. Every GIS
software should read and write shp files, but I hope to have in the near
future another "standard", widespread, portable and more powerful GIS
format.
If also uDig will make a little step in this direction, I think that all GIS
world will have its benefits.
I would love to; but this is one of those subjects that reallys needs time/money. It actually may be a nice move for OSGeo to get this kind of thing moving (and make sure the open source world offers a consistent alternative to geodatabase). Normally the OGC would be a good venue for this as well; I wonder of we could get the SQLLite solution standardized?

My understanding is that a lot of work can be done on the SQLLite solution still - I would really recommend someone hire Martin Davis first; and then roll out the result into the different opensource projects and OGC process.

Jody

Back to the top