Re: [udig-devel] uDig on Eclipse in Ubuntu

Hey Jody,

Jody Garnett wrote:
I noticed that when I did an app-get eclipse it dragged some really old
version (Eclipse 3.2?) that was unsuitable for uDig development.
If you are talking about apt-get, that Eclipse is not only old but compiled with gcj---I would not recommend it for geotools/udig. You can install the various javas with apt but for maven and eclipse I recommend installing them in /usr/local somewhere.

Hmm, it seems we now can install maven 2.0.9 via apt---haven't tried that.

--adrian

Perhaps we can figure this out together and write up the result.

The uDig SDK Quickstart covers how set up eclipse on windows it is true
(largest source of developers etc...). The goal there is set up an eclipse
that uses a copy of udig as a "target platform".

The instructions here cover how to set up eclipse so you can work on uDig
itself; it does cover linux but I have not tried the instructions yet
myself.
http://udig.refractions.net/confluence/display/ADMIN/03+Eclipse+for+RCP+Developers

Jody