Re: [udig-devel] GDAL and JAI

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 10:56 PM, Graham Davis <gdavis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking into making a small module in uDig for image manipulation.
>  Basically my client wants to take an aerial photo and place it overtop of a
> satellite base layer.  They want to be able to manually manipulate this
> photo and visually fit it onto the correct spot of the map.  The
> manipulation they want to be able to achieve includes shrinking/growing the
> image, rotating it and morphing it to align correctly.  Ideally this would
> be done in real-time with the user manipulating  the image with their mouse
> and maybe some numerical input.  Once the user is satisfied with their
> approximate placement, they can "lock it in" at which point I will save the
> resulting image and its coordinates as a geotiff.

Well, this does not look like a really small module to me :-)! You
need to look at JAI + GeoTools, I don't GDAL would help you with this.
There are other alternatives, but I am not sure they'd simplify your job.

> I am currently looking at JAI and GDAL to see if these sorts of image
> manipulation functions are available.  I haven't used either library very
> extensively, so it is pretty new to me.  The GDAL documentation seems to be
> pretty light in general (at least for Java and GeoTools).  I've only found
> these resources:
>
> - http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GEOTOOLS/ImageIO-EXT+GDAL
> - http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/GdalOgrInJava

GDAL Java support is mostly only for I/O. In genera, as the names
suggests, I'd say that gdal is not an image-processing toolkit but an
IO abstractions layer. ImageIO-ext brings that into the Java Imageio
world, nothing more nothing less.

> Does anyone know of other helpful resources that I could use for this
> project?  Are there any uDig modules that currently do anything like this,
> with example code I could look at?

JGrass, Sextante?
In terms of JAI/GeoTools, doing this stuff is not extremely difficult,
but not even trivial.

Simone.

>  Or perhaps someone has some suggestions
> for how I might approach this so that it fits nicely with current uDig
> designs?  If this functionality sounds useful to others, I'm all for trying
> to make this module "official".  Thanks,
>
> --
> Graham Davis
> Refractions Research Inc.
> gdavis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx