Re: [udig-devel] Udig and webstart

Johan C. de Koning wrote:
Jody,

I was not possible for me to response earlier but in the mean time i have webstart working.

The main problem is the two JRE extensions. These should be installed inside the classpath of the JRE. We found a way to solve it to create extra libs plugins (OS specific) which are holding the extension jar and other birary files (like ddl). I don't know if this result in a performance penalty because still the native versions are used. I also don't know if i am allowed to provide the extensions this way because of the license of these two extensions? Does somebody now if this is allowed to do, the different files are still bundles together inside the new plugins.
That is great! I tried to get that working myself but failed as Eclipse 3 was very new at the time. If that is actually working for you it is really good news; it would give me a way to bundle up the imageio-ext Dlls used for MRSID and others. This is really nice way to do things; it is how SWT works for example.

We can always measure to see if there is a performance hit.
BTW the normal webstart versions of the both extensions are not working because they are installed on a different location inside the javaws cache and are this way not available for the udig plugins. Javaws cannot install these extensions inside the JRE. So the solution described above is for my opinion the best.

I will try to create a wiki page about how to get webstart running for your custom application. Hope i can create this page soon.
Well we could also switch udig over to your "jai-libs-win32" plug-in (or whatever it is called), and then the instructions for getting webstart to go would be easier.
Jody

Back to the top