Re: [udig-devel] Udig and webstart

Jody,

I was not possible for me to response earlier but in the mean time i have webstart working.

The main problem is the two JRE extensions. These should be installed inside the classpath of the JRE. We found a way to solve it to create extra libs plugins (OS specific) which are holding the extension jar and other birary files (like ddl). I don't know if this result in a performance penalty because still the native versions are used. I also don't know if i am allowed to provide the extensions this way because of the license of these two extensions? Does somebody now if this is allowed to do, the different files are still bundles together inside the new plugins.

BTW the normal webstart versions of the both extensions are not working because they are installed on a different location inside the javaws cache and are this way not available for the udig plugins. Javaws cannot install these extensions inside the JRE. So the solution described above is for my opinion the best.

I will try to create a wiki page about how to get webstart running for your custom application. Hope i can create this page soon.

Bye

Johan de Koning

Jody Garnett wrote:
My impression was that java web start could also install JAI and ImageIO extentions; I have not looked at it for some time. Worst case senario you could uses these projects in "pure jar" form without their DLL files ... it would be slower but would run.

Questions;
- have you accounded for the osgi settings; ie when the application is run does OSGi have access to the boot classpath? - you say the jars are downloaded for the extentions - where do they go? Are they installed into the JRE? - Would you consider writing a wiki page on how to make (say the cusom app tutorial) available as a webstart application?

Cheers,
Jody
Hello,

A customer wants to have the udig functionality available with webstart. Getting udig running with webstart is not the problem if you have a jre with the extension installed. But if you don't have the advanced imaging and image i/o the map rendering functionality does not work. Of both extensions a webstart version is available and added both to my jnlp file. Starting webstart these files are downloaded but udig is still not working properly. What to do next?

Johan de Koning

--------------------------------------
Geodan Mobile Solutions b.v.
President Kennedylaan 1