Re: [udig-devel] Babel based extras

Hi Andrea; you have a lot of questions - I don't know the answer for all of them so we will have to do some research together:
I'm not sure what next would be, but I guess we should start to use
translations from the babel project.
There are two ways to do this (for developers working on uDig trunk):
- follow the instructions for Quickstart and download extras-3.3.2-babel, I *think* if you use the update manager you can grab fresh translations every day. - follow the instructions and use the babel update site - whenever you want you can hit *update* to grab fresh translations...

There are also two other things to consider:
- the usual way of doing things (ie extras-3.3.2 is also working just fine for now is it not? I have not heard reports of missing translations recently?) - wait for the babel project to "finish" and publish the RCP nls files we need? Not sure when that is expected...
If needed I could write a script that downloads (not sure if they provide a direct link thou) the
translations and package only those that are contained in the udig sdk
(should have some equal package name part) so we have an automation.
They provide a direct link to their database dump; so we would need to download that and then start up mysql to query into it and extract the information we need? Honestly that may not be worth our time?
Do you have already a particular way to do this Jody? How did you add the babel translations to the sdk?
I have not added them to the SDK, only to the extras-3.3.2-babel.zip file - to do so I followed the instructions documented in the ADMIN wiki space making use of their update site.
But then, how to do with the udig ones?
Were you able to understand if it is possible to join the eclipse babel without being some incubated project?
I understand that we would love some software to help us translate the project (beyond the ResourceBundleEditor - which is now part of the babel project). It would be nice to set up a mysql database using the software that the babel project runs; as I understand it they currently offer their service only to projects that start with *org.eclipse*, which does not include uDig? (although we could always ask to join as a GIS Platform - org.eclipse.gis anyone?
Also how is an nl package created?
They must have some kind of script that runs from their mysql database; we may need to download their software from CVS and have a look.
Many many questions :)
Cheers,
Jody

Back to the top