[udig-devel] Re: Compression format support for Geotools/UDig

Ciao Cameron,
with a not-such-a-big effort we could easily integrate reading
capabilities for mrsid-ecw-jp2kakadu into udig by exploiting gdal,
guaranteed. The real cool thing would be trying to avoid having to
pass through gdal and concentrate on interfacing directly one of the
above mentioned format to have more freedom and exploit the full scale
of capabilities.
As an instance we could play directly with kakadu and extend what we
have already available (which was not designed for geospatial data so
it does not parse any geo info).

Let me know your opinion.
Regards,
Simone.