Re: [udig-devel] Connections to R

Hey Andrea Antonello,

Sorry I missed the IRC yesterday. I would enjoy chatting with you about
your design for R. I'm especially interested in seeing how we can design
this without duplicating data n times. I'm not sure how, in your design,
a user goes from a shapefile of points (or a text file of points) to an
R session sp objects on which they run an interpolation and take the
results back to shapefile (or text). Is your design:
shp/text -> GRASSFILE -> R sp ~~(process)~~ R sp-> GRASSFILE -> shp/text
? If so can we delete the intermediate data as we go? Also, how does the
R interface have access to the GRASSFILEs? Does the user have to
remember the 'magic' names of the files or is there some way to list
those files or drag-and-drop them from the Catalog to the R commandline?

Perhaps we could schedule a breakout IRC to clarify your thinking and
raise as many issues as we can? If so, what hours would work for you?
I'm generally dedicating mornings, european time to this work.

Anyone else is also welcome to join but I suspect this discussion will
move off list for a while until there's some kind of concreteness to the
proposal.

--adrian

Back to the top