Re: [udig-devel] JGrass and uDig

> >>Andrea, how much relationship does JGrass have with GRASS itself? Format
> >>sharing? Workspace sharing? Actual code sharing? Does it easily track
> >>GRASS as GRASS does version upgrades or is it bound to a particular
> >>version?
> >
> >It is bound mainly to GRASS's raster format, which didn't change for a
> >while.
> >Also it is bound to it's workspace organisation, which splits a map in
> >different folders like colormaps, categories, and some other properties,
> >apart of the map itself.
> >Before we could start to port also the vector part, we noticed geotools
> >and we never went on with it. GRASS has a lot of analysis tools, as most
> >of you probably know and I think the compatibility should be kept, if
> >not even improved.
>
> So, to clarify for me, JGRASS is a port of GRASS to Java? Using the same
> formats and data organization schemes, but re-implemented in Java code?

Only in the part we were interested of, i.e. re-implementation was done
for data organisation and binary raster format reading and writing.
For all the modules that were not ported, we execute them with
ProcessBuilder from the graphical interface.
Also there are a lot of applications that were made for JGrass and can't be
found in GRASS.

I hope that answeres your question.
Andrea

Back to the top