Re: [udig-devel] JGrass and uDig

> >Lots of changes are going on at the moment in the JGrass team and
> >architecture. One thought and wish of mine would be that to join the
> >uDig development and merge all the raster algorythms into it, as well as
> >everything suitable from JGrass.
>
> Andrea, how much relationship does JGrass have with GRASS itself? Format
> sharing? Workspace sharing? Actual code sharing? Does it easily track
> GRASS as GRASS does version upgrades or is it bound to a particular version?

It is bound mainly to GRASS's raster format, which didn't change for a while.
Also it is bound to it's workspace organisation, which splits a map in
different folders like colormaps, categories, and some other properties,
apart of the map itself.
Before we could start to port also the vector part, we noticed geotools
and we never went on with it. GRASS has a lot of analysis tools, as most
of you probably know and I think the compatibility should be kept, if
not even improved.

> >Following the last coverage changes in
> >geotools, I guess this should be possible and would bring positive
> >additions to both groups. Please take into consideration that this would
> >anyway mean a hughe amount of work from our side.
>
> Indeed! We are honored you would consider uDig as your platform choice.
>
> >To understand if this could be in fact feasible, I would need to talk
> >to someone (or the IRC channel) about advantages and if and how this
> >could be achieved.
>
> Jesse is your main man. He's on #udig on IRC most days (but this week he
> is on a business trip to Atlanta, so do not feel ignored).  Jody is on
> the same trip, hence the relative quiet.

Good you say that. :) In fact I felt a little bit ignored.

> >Please let me first of all know if the uDig team is interested in this and
> >who I may talk to about this issue.
>
> I think we will find this is very feasible, if you're willing to put in
> the effort, and I do not think it will introduce any particular platform
> issues, if things are done using the existing extension mechanisms,
> which are plentiful.  By slotting in a new JGRASS renderer and using
> existing JGRASS data access mechanisms, it might even be... easy? :) OK,
> hope springs eternal...

Same for me :)
This could be a good moment for us, since we have a small found that
would put development strength on this possible migration.

It should be clear that we bring mainly analysis tools, not framework changes.
Obviously we would need to develop some renderers and mouse interaction. Perhaps
(and hopefully) I'm talking about things that are already there, who knows :)

Thanks for the reply,
Cheers,
Andrea