Re: [udig-devel] Loading map from file system

Right now we have the map set up as a Editor, having a viewpart would be very useful. I was hoping to look into this when moving to Eclipse 3.2, where I understand the Editor and View interfaces have moved closer together. I am going to be making a *very* simple ViewPart focused on WMS for the end of the month, I could do this in the uDig community section if there are interested users like yourself around.

I do hope to learn enough from the experience to provided decent integration with the outline view.
Jody
Hi all,

We have an existing RCP application in which I want to display a map in
a ViewPart (tiffs and ESRI shape files).  I've gone through the
quickstart tutorials and have played around with the uDig application,
but looking at the Javadoc I can't see what object is responsible for

I have a ViewPart with the following code:

public void createPartControl(Composite parent) {

    ViewportPane viewportPane = new ViewportPaneSWT(parent, new
MapEditor());

    // load map from file system somehow
    IMap map = ????;

    map.setRenderManagerInternal(new RenderManagerDynamic());
    renderManager = map.getRenderManagerInternal();
    viewportPane.setRenderManager(renderManager);
}

There's probably some intermediate steps I'm missing.  Do I load a map
directly from the file system, or do I add layers to a newly constructed
map?  Any pointers would be great as I'm new to GIS (if you couldn't
tell).

Regards

Brendon Kelly
---
Application Programmer
Information Systems & Technology Service
South Australia Police