Re: [udig-devel] Prelim. Architecture diagram

On Wed, 2006-04-19 at 09:44 +0200, Jody Garnett wrote:
> Adrian Custer wrote:
> > Hey all,
> >
> > This is a first take on the uDig software architecture. On it's own,
> > it's not terribly useful but it's nice and colourfull so it might
> > entertain someone.
> >
> Pretty colours!  Adrian we got to get you using the wiki :-)
>
> I am cool with most things ....
> the GeoTools part confused me a bit?
> - You start with Feature is that because it is what matters to you?
> - If you were trying to capture "dependence" we would need to arrange
> this differently (GML and Data depends on Feature for example)
>
> Not sure the breakdown into Eclipse GUI, Eclipse RCP and Eclipse
> Platform is accurate... probably does not matter.

Heh, well yeah, that's the preliminary part. For refinement now I get to
think about the internals of Geotools, uDig and Eclipse. Since we are
trying to bring the Geotools docs up to shape, I wanted a "bigger"
picture so while working on Geotools, I could also consider how it fits
into a larger software ecosystem. Either that or I'm clearing out my
stack of "docs todo"...

> Very fun :-)  What program did you use?

Inkscape! Runs on all platforms, shows off the kick-ass nature of the
gnome/gtk platform. Very easy to learn (do a couple of the tutorials),
totally powerful, and improving all the time...free software for free
people. Enjoy!