Re: [udig-devel] Re: Trouble with fresh SVN checkout

Hi Matthias,

We're no longer very happy with the subclipse plugin, you're not the only person we know that has problems like these. For some unknown reason subclipse seems to require a number of refresh and clean commands. I have no idea why. The entire udig team has switched to commandline subversion instead. It seems to work with less hassles. I'm going to update the wiki so it reflects that opinion.

Jesse

Matthias Basler wrote:

Hi developers, hi Jody,

I just made the "maximum possible effort" test to check what's wrong with
Subclipse/building uDig and that stuff.

This involved:
- Reinstalling the JDK1.5.0_04 incl. JAI and ImageIO
 (I used the "official" versions, not the one provided by uDig).
- Installing a second fresh Eclipse including EMF, Subclipse 0.9.32
 and the like.
- Checking out into a completely empty workspace.
 Again I selected all plugins extept the "mil.army...." one.
 See first screenshot attached.

Results:
5 minutes "Operation in progess", then
10 minutes "Retrieving children of remote folders", then
50 minutes "Checking out ..."
P.S. On a DSL connection (fast download, slow upload)

At 95% (or at "net.refractions.udig.tools.default") something must have
interrupted the progress, because it ended with errors, and plugins after this
one were missung. So I did another checkout for the missing 7 projects, which
was successful after 5 minutes. Now I had these 45 projects safely on harddisk.

Now Building steps:
- Clean all projects - worked nicely as usual.
- Refresh
- Update classpath for all projects

Result:
- 14 errors (and uncounted exceptions, btw.) See screenshot 2.
- Cleaning, refreshing and Updating classpath again won't help.

Further steps done:
- Restarting Eclipse. Errors still there.
- Clean all projects

Results:
- Errors are gone. UDig builds and runs OK.

I have the strong impression that, once the "clean" is done, it doesn't actually
rebuild the project correctly after a second or third clean. Only after I
restart Eclipse, the project is properly cleaned and built again.
The "Extension point builder" might also be one piece in this puzzle.

OK. That's all I can help on that.
Matthias Basler
c9bama@xxxxxxxxxxx

This mail was sent through http://webmail.uni-jena.de