Re: [udig-devel] rendering of geotiff

Martin Schouwenburg wrote:

We where experimenting a bit with the current Udig build in rendering data. We encountered a problem with (all)Geotiff files, which loaded correctly but did not show an image in the map view. It was loaded correctly as coordinate info was available. As we couldnt find a reference to these kind of problems in Jirra we wondered if this was a problem in our build (which is drawn form the repository) or a known issue.

Hi! We disabled GeoTiff support for the udig 1.0.0 release (based on just the kind of experience you have had). The geotools library we are using does not include a very good GeoTiff implementation (when we did get it to work you will find it was very slow).

There are two bright sides to this story:
- we are talking with OSSIM
- the geotools "GridCoverage" developers are actually focused on implementing a Web Coverage Service for GeoServer. As such they are running into the same problems and are making a lot of progress on performance (as they learn to hack Java Advanced Imaging at a very low level). I have CCed one of the developers on this project in the hopes he can provide an update of GeoTIFF support.

I hope our reasoning for not supporting GeoTIFF (until it is good) makes sense. We are an open project, so if you did have anyone with GeoTIFF and Java hacking ability we would welcome assistance in this matter.

Cheers,
Jody

PS. You are not alone - at the OSG'05 conference GeoTIFF was the most requested feature

Back to the top