[udig-devel] not closed polygons and some other issues

According to my last notice about problems with one of layers, it is not associated with big number of features but with bad features in Shapefile - not closed polygons:
!ENTRY net.refractions.udig.render.feature.basic 1 0 2005-05-15 00:35:53.15
!MESSAGE dzialki features are not loaded into memory
!ENTRY net.refractions.udig.project 2 0 2005-05-15 00:35:53.718
!MESSAGE java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: points must form a closed linestring
!STACK 0
net.refractions.udig.project.render.RenderException: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: points must form a closed linestring at net.refractions.udig.render.internal.feature.basic.BasicFeatureRenderer.render(BasicFeatureRenderer.java:223) at net.refractions.udig.render.internal.feature.basic.BasicFeatureRenderer.render(BasicFeatureRenderer.java:180) at net.refractions.udig.project.internal.render.impl.RenderExecutorImpl$RenderJob.startRendering(RenderExecutorImpl.java:202) at net.refractions.udig.project.internal.render.impl.RenderExecutorImpl$RenderJob.run(RenderExecutorImpl.java:231)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:67)

However this layer works ok in other GIS packages, also Open Source. It's not a problem for me, I can use any tool to clean the layer, but it is something like slightly bad HTML in the world of internet browsers, when browsers accept some minor deviations which are obvious to resolve automatically. I know we can say to user - please repair your data, but if it can be handled automatically why not to do it. Probably this situation will be rarity with fresh or new data, but sometimes there are data "with a long history", maintained since years, and I don't know why (maybe crashes while editing or something) but they may have not closed polygons in polygon layer. I think it shouldn't be a problem to close such a polygons while loading Shapefile and see such a data as correct layer.

I have also question about translating. I noticed in french and german, some positions in menus are not translated (for example edit functions like copy/paste). There is no substitutes for these items in NL files. Is this Eclipse side ?

According to locale. There are many and long messages in error log mentioning, as I understand, lack of proper language: !ENTRY update@/c:/programy/uDig/eclipse/plugins/net.refractions.udig.project.ui.nl1_1.0.0/ 0 0 2005-05-15 12:19:09.421
!MESSAGE FrameworkEvent.ERROR
!STACK 0
org.osgi.framework.BundleException: The Bundle-ClassPath entry "/" was not found in the bundle: <missing argument> at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseClassLoader.findClassPathEntry(EclipseClassLoader.java:263)
They fill the log quickly. Is there any method to stop them to occure?

Also while showing layer properties - it looks like glyph item do not like to have empty value because error message occure.

As an improvement I would suggest not to loose information about focused layer (in layers window) while changing beetween tabbed Style window and others (for axample Progress window). Now, after quitting style window (without any changes to active layer in layers window of course) and coming back to Style window, it is empty and you have to reselect active layer.

Grzegorz Myrda

Back to the top