[udig-devel] Re: [Geotools-devel] JAI we have a problem

> I am trying to set up my windows XP box - from scratch, following the
> uDig (or geotools, or geoserver) install instructions.
> And a recent security update from Microsoft has stopped me cold.
>
> None of the available JAI intall options from sun work right now:

Well, I have WinXP home with definitely all security updates and the
  jai-1_1_2_01-lib-windows-i586-jdk.exe
which I downloaded some time ago. This installer works just fine for me, even
today.

Besides that, if I am not mistaken, JAI (and JAI IO) is just a bunch of
libraries that need to be copied into the JDK, f.e. into ...\jdk1.5\jre\lib\ext
and ...\jdk1.5\jre\bin resp. You could do that manually if you have copies of
the libraries from another machine:
ext:   jai_core.jar, jai_codec.jar, jai_imageio.jar,
       clibwrapper_jiio.jar and mlibwrapper_jai.jar
bin:   clib_jiio.dll, mlib_jai.dll, mlib_jai_mmx.dll
I believe this should give you runtime support for JAI and JAI image IO. (Just
as a workaround and not tested by me.)

P.S. How do you know it's a security update from Windows that is causing that
trouble?

Matthias Basler
c9bama@xxxxxxxxxxx

This mail was sent through http://webmail.uni-jena.de