Re: [udig-devel] RC4 help feedback comment

Matthias, et al:
There are a number of things cross-cutting here which are going to serve to make us look less than pristine in the short term: - We had to move to a 1.0 series contractually before we really would have liked to so we are now releasing RC series versions which realistically should be PRE series. - We don't have nightly builds running yet, and even when we do, we do not have enough tests to really ensure things are A1 - We are on a pretty fast schedule, which is making it hard on the development team - Our name includes the term "user-friendly" (my fault) which in the short term will probably be a misnomer. My hope is that in the long term it will serve to goad the project continuously in the right direction. In many ways the name is a very succinct statement of principles which I hope serve the project well.

On the bright side:
- We have a real 1.0 release point coming up for the OSGIS 2005 conference, which will include not only a good development push to clean up various chunks of the code that have been completed "in principle" but not necessarily "in practice", it will also include a battery of user testing which should preclude the kinds of fit-and-finish problems the anonymous poster found right off the bat.
- Every week, things only get better.
- Nightly builds are ready to go online, which should both help the development team and provide a testing team a "current version" they can test against, to help reduce bug reporting duplication. - We have a platform built with a well considered design on top of top notch industry tools. As time goes forward we will not get stuck in a "massive rewrite" to deal with our design short-comings. IE: we have taken a lot of pain up front.

So for 1.0, we will:
- Make sure to only expose things we actually think/know should work, so that the 1.0 series will only get more stable as fixes are applied.
- Push all the incomplete functionality to the 1.1 series.
- Test, test, test.

Paul

Back to the top